Welcome to Food Co-op Initiative!
Strengthening Communities through Cooperation
Food Co-op Initiative paves the way for New Food Co-op Excellence, leading to better fed, healthier communities with local control and connections.
FCI aims to increase the number, success and sustainability of new food cooperatives delivering access to healthy food in diverse communities across this country. It provides information, training and technical assistance, as well as seed capital, and engages in research, to blaze, maintain and improve the development path for new food coops.
The specific outcomes FCI works to achieve, in priority order, are these:
Food co-op organizers will have access to:
- Relevant information, tools, best practices and resources
- Effective training
- Ongoing technical advice and support
- Peer learning
- Sufficient grant and loan resources
Diverse communities will be strengthened because:
- Residents will be healthier and better fed
- Civic engagement and empowerment will be greater
- New jobs in democratic workplaces will pay living wages,
- The tax base will expand
- The prospects for future development will be improved
Institutions that invest capital and enact public policies will have:
- Increased understanding and appreciation for the value and impact of food co-ops
- A greater commitment to providing resources for their development
The 4 Cornerstones in 3 Stages Development Model was developed by Cooperative Development Services, a partner with NCB and National Cooperative Grocers Association in designing this program. All three organizations believe that the model, if followed by the applicant, will result in a greater chance for success.
The model is based upon the four cornerstones of vision, talent, capital, and systems that are each within three stages of food co-op development: organizing, feasibility and planning, and finally implementation. The four cornerstones and their three stages comprise a process for developing a cooperative retail food business. This process recognizes the need for support systems along the journey and seeks to provide assistance to approved applicants during the various stages.